true crime community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

True Crime Podcast Recommendations?

5 posters

Go down

True Crime Podcast Recommendations? Empty True Crime Podcast Recommendations?

Post by Moopster Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:46 pm

Hey, guys! So I've been listening to True Crime stuff on my walks and such for a while now, but I've also been running low on good ones to go through. Here are the ones I've listened to so far and what I think of them:

Sword and Scale: Interviews and recordings are interesting to hear but the narrator is obnoxious and ableist. In one episode he says the murder of Mike Brown was justified and has previously been really heavy on the fear-mongering when it comes to schizophrenic people. He later had an episode where he showed a recording from a psychologist who praised the show but warned not to demonize these people but never really apologized. He seems petty and not really interested in mending ways. The production values and the topics are pretty good though.

Criminal: Love the variety they have here and production values are great. The narrator has a great speaking tone. They don't just cover murders though so many of the episodes may not be of interest to people strictly interested in that.
(Also they did a really good episode on a black true crime newspaper I found really interesting and as a mixed person who rarely gets to see their black relatives it's always great for me to hear more about our heritage - the episode was called "Don't Let Me See You In The Whirl").

Serial: The classic(tm). I'm pretty sure everyone here has probably already heard of this one. Season 2 is still awful.

Undisclosed: Hardcore Serial fans go here. Lengthy discussions about the case. The people behind it are very clear that they believe Adnan is innocent though, so if you like these things to be impartial you won't find it here.

Someone Knows Something: If you liked Serial you'll enjoy this podcast. Production value is good and the speaker is clear and likable, plus the case is interesting. Unlike Serial it's reversed though, with season 1 being less enjoyable than season 2. Season 1 doesn't have a clear payoff and there are very few answers and very few results.

Thinking Sideways: This is just kind of a feel-good podcast I put on in the background honestly. Makes you feel like you're at a table with friends discussing weird mysteries.

Stranglers: A good, in-depth review of the Boston Strangler case. Again, production is high and the research discussed is fascinating. You get a lot of interviews with people close to the case. Definitely, recommend if you have any interest in the Strangler.

Plus some other podcasts I never really finished:
Missing and Murdered - Who Killed Alberta Williams: Have not finished but the quality is good so far.
Casefile: Audio is a little weird and kind of distracting - couldn't get behind it.
Last Podcast On The Left: Mix Thinking Sideways and Sword and Scale together, except take out the interviews and records from S&S and quadruple the number of obnoxious hosts.

Sorry if this post is kinda long, let me know if there's any other ones you'd recommend!
Moopster
Moopster

Back to top Go down

True Crime Podcast Recommendations? Empty Re: True Crime Podcast Recommendations?

Post by johnwaynegacys Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:59 pm

this is awesome!! believe it or not i've actually not listened to any true crime podcasts (just because i'm really not a podcast person in general) but i'll be sure to check some of these out!
johnwaynegacys
johnwaynegacys

http://johnwaynegacys.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

True Crime Podcast Recommendations? Empty Re: True Crime Podcast Recommendations?

Post by Moopster Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:02 pm

johnwaynegacys wrote:this is awesome!! believe it or not i've actually not listened to any true crime podcasts (just because i'm really not a podcast person in general) but i'll be sure to check some of these out!

If you haven't heard any of these before I'd DEFINITELY recommend Serial. Unlike some of the other ones, it's based on the same case (up until season 2) and has a lot of twists and turns. It doesn't cover everything though, and some things get skipped, but if it intrigues you after listening to it then it really opens you up to further research on the topic.
Moopster
Moopster

Back to top Go down

Post by thedragonrampant Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:09 pm

This is a great resource, thank you! It's been ages since I listened to a podcast, but I've been wanting to get back into them now that I have a pretty long daily commute to go through. There seem to be a few lists online that feature a comprehensive overview of some of the best true crime podcasts, but I'm definitely going to give Serial a listen first.
thedragonrampant
thedragonrampant

Back to top Go down

Post by numbernet Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:33 pm

Thank you for this awesome master post!!! These all look super interesting!
numbernet
numbernet

https://33134912net.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dobie Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:43 pm

Thanks! I used to listen to a ton but I lost them and haven't been able to find them. Currently listening to the infamous Episode 20 on Sword and Scale and let me tell you.....for the first time I don't think i can finish a story

Also i want to add True Crime Garage (i don't think i see it up there) I like this one, though the hosts tend to go off on tangents Smile
Dobie
Dobie

http://raminkarimloser.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down